Mertrice G. Philpott was born and raised in Grouse Creek, Utah on November 29, 1913, a daughter of Albert James and Louisa Emiline Paskett Ballingham. She had the following brothers and sisters: Bertha Mae, Melba Louise, Lester Albert, Verda Emily, George William, Treasa Venette, and James Wendell.
She was reared and educated in Grouse Creek and married Ralph W. Philpott on March 15, 1940 in Ogden, Utah. They were the parents of James R. and Frank W.
She was a member of the LDS Church where she had been an organist, teacher and active in all the auxiliaries.
Mertrice had lived in Ogden for more than fifty-five years and had been employed at George A. Lowe’s and Ogden Defense Depot.
She was also a member of the Ladies Auxiliary of the F.O.E. Eagles and the National Association of Retired Federal Employees. She served in various leadership positions in those organizations.
She passed away on March 7, 1999 and was buried in the Ogden City Cemetery.