Archie Devon Toyn

Archie Devon Toyn was born June 8, 1947 at the Cooley Memorial Hospital in Brigham City, Utah.  He was the third child and only son of Archie Leo Toyn and Rhea Emily Paskett.  He had two sisters, Marlene and Gail.  Devon was a big baby weighing nine pounds two ounces.  He had very little hair, but later had lots of hair and was a dark blonde.  He fulfilled a dream for his father, he was so happy to have a son, having been blessed with two daughters previous.

Devon was healthy all his life.  He hardly ever had even a common cold.  The only shots he ever had was his polio shot.  He was one of the pioneers of the Salk vaccine, when it was given to voluntary school children.  The only disease he had was chicken pox when he was little.

He was in the sixth grade in school and enjoyed it – – – even though at times he teased to stay at home.

Devon was proud of the toys and possessions and clothes he had, but like some boys there was times when he didn’t like to dress up; and times when he asked for his white shirt, tie, and cuff links.  He loved a hat; he never went anywhere without one and wore them until they looked like him.

Devon spent a lot of time with his dog, horse, and doing odd jobs or creating fancies of his own around the farm.  Whenever Devon could be with his dad or help him in any way, that is where he was.  He could work and plan like a man instead of a boy.  He could do all the chores; milk two cows, pitch hay, irrigate, shovel ditch, rode a bike like the wind, throw a man’s saddle on a horse, and many jobs that a boy does not usually pay any attention to.  When he could not be with his dad he enjoyed going to see Afton’s boys and play, or follow Uncle Elmer and Lyman, or go see Mervin and play with Claine, or go with Tanners to feed.  He was ambitious.         

Devon was a hearty eater and could cook cereal or get himself something to eat as good as the girls.  He didn’t mind helping with the dishes or making up his bed.  He even tried shaving with his dad’s electric razor.

Devon had been to the Logan Temple with his Sunday School class and teacher, Irma Warburton, and did baptisms for the dead.  He was looking forward to another trip.

He loved his sisters and parents.  He was a good boy.  He enjoyed his grandparents and all the families.  He always made his Aunt Mildred tease for a kiss when she came to visit us.

Devon had the experience of going with his dad hunting deer and camping out.  He looked forward to another season coming.  One of his ambitions was to go on a mission like his Grandpa Toyn.

Devon loved babies and little children.  He was tender hearted, but hated for anyone to see his tears or know his feelings.  He always showed he was sorry for any misdeeds.  He had a hearty laugh and a good sense of humor.  He loved western shows on television, and could always find the moral of the story.

The last five days of Devon’s life were spent at Lynn with Dwain Lind and his family and Gayle Stark.  He really enjoyed it.  He had been helping Dwain hay and ride, and even had hopes of going back after the reunion until he thought it over and decided to stay home in case Marlene came to spend her vacation.

As soon as Devon, Cora, and Virgene came from Lynn we went to the W.C. Kimber ranch and spent the day at the Kimber reunion.  We had a good time, good lunch, etc. and returned home in the evening to do chores and return to the church to a dance for the public.  Devon was himself in every respect, but we had only been to the dance long enough for two dances when Devon slumped from the bench onto the floor, and as far as physicians could tell, passed away at that time.  We had him administered to and artificial respiration was administered for two hours before we decided to take him to Burley, Idaho to the hospital.  They continued to work over him until we reached Burley, but to no avail.  He passed away about 10:00 p.m. July 19, 1958.  He was taken to Payne Funeral Home in Burley where an autopsy was performed to determine the cause of death.  The best pathologist in Idaho performed the operation; he searched from head to foot but could not find a cause of death.  The only answer they could give was, “The good Lord wanted him; you were lucky to have had him for his eleven years.”

Funeral services were held July 23, 1958 in the Grouse Creek Ward chapel (400 present), and burial in the Grouse Creek cemetery.

He lived a short life – but a full one.  He loved it all, and we love him.

By his mother, Rhea Toyn