Arlin Elmer Wakefield

John, Milas, Arlin, Uknown, Julia, Annie, Leona & Sarah Wakefield

Arlin Elmer Wakefield was born on July 1, 1903, in Grouse Creek, Utah. He was the second son, and fifth child of eleven born to Milas Erastus and Annie Elizabeth Kimber Wakefield. He was blessed by his grandfather, Charles Kimber.

His education included the eighth grade. However, he had a quick mind when it came to figuring out the workings of almost anything. No wonder the people of Grouse Creek called on him whenever they needed anything repaired. He was never too busy to help.

Grouse Creek Basketball – George Paskett, Herbert Tanner, Delbert Tanner, Roy (Frank) Frost, Arlin Wakefield, Afton (Jack) Wakefield, Ted Hadfield, Winfred Kimber, Delbert Warburton

As a boy, he helped his father and brothers build three and a half rooms onto the existing two rooms of their home. They used logs and ties with which to build it. It was a comfortable home for the family of thirteen.

His father was storekeeper and postmaster for the community. Arlin often helped with post-office duties. After they put in a gasoline pump at the store, he would drive the truck to Montello, Nevada for gas.

He was an experienced sheep shearer and helped the sheep ranchers with that chore for many years.

He also played the harmonica for the square dance orchestra. He loved music and later encouraged all his children to learn to play a musical instrument.

Work Crew 1-Joe Bardsley, 2-W.I. Richins, 3-Miles Bardsley, 4-Gilbert Monsen, 5-Don Wakefield, 6-W.C Betteridge, 7-Winfred Kimber, 8-Elmer Kimber, 9-C.C. Richins, 10-Arlin Wakefield, 11-Fred Jorgensen, 12-M.E. Wakefield, 13-E.O. Kimber

When he was grown, he worked for the Grazing Service, digging reservoirs and watering ponds for stock, and also building roads. He helped make the road up Copper Mountain to the mine. He filled in all the washes on the road around the mountain. He bulldozed the ties off the old Central Pacific railroad bed. The rails had already been removed to be used in the World War II effort. They had to eat their lunch sitting on their dozers because the snakes were so bad.

For many years he trapped coyotes, etc. for the Grazing Service. He was always a hard worker and a true outdoor man.

He married Hilda Arvilla Richins on March 6, 1926. They were later sealed in the Salt Lake Temple. Five children were born to them, a daughter Arlene, son Burdell, daughter Fay, and twin sons Robert and Richard.

In 1946 the family moved to the Ogden area. They lived at Washington Terrace, Utah, for a few years, then moved to Roy, Utah.

Arlin worked for the Federal Government at the Naval Supply Depot, then for Weber County Sheriff as a jailer, until the time of his death on June 23, 1965.

He is buried in the Washington Heights Memorial Park in South Ogden, Utah.